Saturday 21 February 2015

Some background to the record...

I wrote Katie NYC a few months after my grandma had phoned me telling me her cousin Katie had died. I had gotten to know Katie over a few years and had loved her dearly and visited her in New York city when she had cancer and there was a chance I would not see her again. She had a very eventful life and a very tragic one at times but still had the most human warmth about her. I was sat in my living room in York (old York) thinking about all this and started to put together this song. After I played it to some friends who said it was good I thought I should write more songs about family. Surely everyone was bored of my romantic bitterness by now. So the other songs came from there. Consequences is the odd one out as it's not about a family member.

A fair while later, after I had done some 'solo' gigs with Mark on drum(s), been in a band with Rory, and met Laura, I decided it was time to record the songs. We got together and spent two days at Sickroom studios in Norfolk. We recorded the whole record pretty much live then overdubbed the backing vocals and other percussion. I had to go back to record Charlie song one evening as I had momentarily forgotten it during the main recording session. Owen did a great job recording it all and John's been great helping make it into a real record. I'm so pleased I've been able to make this thing with the help of some people who feel like family.



No comments:

Post a Comment